Individuals who exhibit signs of brain infection should immediately visit the best neurologist in Karachi. The specialist will conduct relevant tests to diagnose the exact cause and disease. Early diagnosis will help in timely treatment to enhance functioning and avoid health-related complications.
The different types of brain infection that can hinder the overall body functioning and lead to permanent damage include:
- Meningitis: Bacterial meningitis causes upper respiratory tract infection, and if the person delays the treatment, it affects brain function. The symptoms of meningitis include fever, photophobia, confusion, and constant vomiting.
- Encephalitis: It is a viral infection caused by herpes and arbovirus. The patient exhibit symptom such as fever and headaches. With time the symptoms affect neurological function. The patient starts to have personality changes and suffers from hallucinations.
- Myelitis: The infection affects the spinal cord. It causes inflammation leading to muscle spasms, weakness, and sensory problems. A bacterium, fungi, or virus becomes the cause of myelitis. There is no cure for the condition; however, the treatment is proven effective in managing the symptoms.
- Brain Abscess: The bacterial or viral infection causes the accumulation of pus in the brain, which hinders neurological function. Also, a recent surgery can cause brain abscess. The individual suffers from spasticity, behavioral changes, seizures, sleep problems, pain, and changes in speech. Individuals who exhibit the symptoms of brain abscess should immediately seek medical attention to prevent permanent damage.
Also read it: xbox series z
The causes of brain infection include:
Individuals may suffer from brain infection due to:
- Virus: Individuals may suffer from brain and spinal cord malfunctioning due to a viral infection. Hence, individuals must take precautionary measures and get vaccinated to avoid suffering from a viral infection.
- Bacteria: Streptococcus pneumoniae and group B Streptococcus can lead to bacterial infection and hinder brain function. Hence, individuals must prioritize their health and live in a healthy environment. Also, individuals must not prepare their food in contaminated water.
- Fungus: Aspergillus and Blastomyces spread in the brain and affect cognitive function.
- Parasite: A parasite infection is relatively difficult to detect. It affects body movements and hinders the cognitive function.
- Immune System Disorders: Individuals suffering from an autoimmune disorder must remain conscious regarding their physical and mental health, as they are at a higher risk of suffering from infection and related complications. People suffering from HIV and multiple sclerosis are more likely to suffer from myelitis.
The preventive measures that can help reduce the chances of suffering from brain infection are:
- People must wash their hands after meeting a sick person.
- Individuals should get vaccinated on time, to reduce the chances of contracting a bacterial or viral infection.
- Individuals should not drink contaminated water.
- Individuals should use mosquito repellent to avoid tick-borne illnesses.
- Individuals should keep their environment clean to prevent bacterial growth that can affect physical health.
The tests that help in diagnosing and the individual suffering from brain infection include:
- Imaging Testing: The CT scan and MRI help detect inflammation in the brain, which indicates infection. Also, it helps detect lesions and rule out other possibilities. The speciesist can evaluate the severity of the condition and opt for a suitable treatment plan.
- Blood Testing: The blood culture helps detect the type of bacteria affecting neurological functioning.
- Spinal Tap: It is a procedure that examines the cerebrospinal fluid. It helps detect the presence of bacteria and changes in the levels of WBCs to confirm that the patient is suffering from an infection.
Also read it: college dorm party
People must remain vigilant regarding their physical and psychological health. It is essential to monitor the changes in the body that indicate a physical or mental illness. Individuals diagnosed with a brain infection should seek a second opinion from Dr. Khalid Jamil Akhtar. A competent and reliable neurologist will help the individual understand the cause of the disease. Also, the specialist will provide information regarding the most effective and latest treatment for a smooth recovery without further complications.