If you’re looking for an adventure-packed destination, look no further than Mongolia! This country offers a wealth of culture, scenery and history – perfect for any traveler.
Whether you’re interested in traditional Mongolian nomadic life or want to explore the famous Gobi Desert, Mongolia has something for you. Here, we’ll take you through everything you need to know about traveling to this fascinating country.
What is Mongolia?
Mongolia is a vast country in Central Asia, bordered by Russia to the north and west, China to the east and south, and Kazakhstan to the west. The country has a total area of 2,543,600 sq km, making it the world’s 45th largest country by area. In terms of population, Mongolia ranks as the 22nd most populous country in the world with 3.8 million inhabitants.
Mongolia is one of the most sparsely populated countries in the world – just 1/30th of its territory is covered by human settlements! Much of Mongolia remains an untouched wilderness – a land of steppes and grasslands where nomadic herders herded their livestock across open landscapes.
Since gaining independence from the Soviet Union in 1991, Mongolia has made significant progress towards developing its economy and infrastructure. Tourism is now one of the main sources of income for the Mongolian government, and visitors can enjoy amazing landscapes, fascinating culture and friendly people while exploring this fascinating country.
Why visit Mongolia?
There are many reasons to visit Mongolia. The country is vast and open, with a great mix of desert, steppes, and mountains. The scenery is strikingly beautiful, with raging rivers and snow-capped peaks. There are also plenty of cultural experiences to be had, from ancient nomadic life to the vibrant modern cityscape.
Mongolia is also a welcoming place. The locals are friendly and welcoming, and they love to share their culture and traditions with visitors. You’ll be able to learn a lot about Mongolian history and culture while you’re there, and you’ll be able to experience some truly unique independent travel in one of the last remaining frontiers of the world.
The best things to see and do in Mongolia
If you’re looking for a unique and adventurous travel destination, Mongolia is definitely worth considering. Home to vast deserts, snow-capped mountains, and lush forests, this country has something for everyone.
Here are just some of the best things to see and do in Mongolia:
1. Ride the Gobi Desert on a camel! It’s an unforgettable experience that will leave you feeling stunned by the beauty of this place.
2. Trek through the Gobi Desert on a camel or horse – both are perfect ways to see the amazing landscape and wildlife that live in this remote area.
3. Visit the impressive Gobi National Park – one of the world’s largest protected areas and home to some of Mongolia’s most endangered animals, such as the wild horse and golden eagle.
4. Take a walk on top of Burkhan Khaldun, one of the highest mountains in Mongolia at 5,050 meters (16,500 feet). You’ll be able to see breathtaking views of the surrounding countryside from up here.
5. Visit Lake Khovd – one of Mongolia’s most beautiful lakes and a popular spot for tourists to relax and enjoy nature.
6. Cruise down
How to get to Mongolia
Getting to Mongolia is easy. You can fly into Ulaanbaatar or Erdenet, both of which have international airports. Then it’s just a matter of getting on a bus or train and you’re there! If you’re looking for a bit more adventure, you can also explore the country by camel or on horseback. Whichever way you choose, there’s no doubt that Mongolia is an incredible destination to explore.
What to bring with you on your trip to Mongolia
The weather in Mongolia can be unpredictable, so it’s important to take note of the local forecast before you go. Make sure to pack your raincoat, windbreaker, and warm clothes if it looks like it’s going to rain. And don’t forget your mosquito repellent!
When packing for your trip, don’t forget to pack some food and drinks. You’ll want to bring enough supplies to last the entire trip, as well as some money in case you need to buy anything while you’re there. You’ll also want to pack a set of travel documents, such as your passport and visa.
Finally, be sure to pack a charger for your electronic devices! The voltage in Mongolia is different than what you’re used to, so be prepared for a lot of plug-ins!
The cost of traveling to Mongolia
Mongolia is an incredible country to visit, but it can be expensive. Here are some tips to help you budget your trip:
-Start by researching the cost of transportation and accommodation. This will help you figure out what you need to save for.
-Consider staying in hostels or guesthouses. They are usually much cheaper than hotels and offer a lot of the same amenities, like breakfast and dinner.
-Check the price of food in particular before you go. Many restaurants in Mongolia are very affordable, especially if you order a few items.
-Try not to spend too much on souvenirs. Most of the things tourists want (likenamuks, fur coats, etc.) are pretty expensive in Mongolia. You can often find similar items at a fraction of the price at local markets.
What to expect on your trip to Mongolia
Mongolia is a vast and stunning country that’s perfect for those looking for an adventure. Travellers should expect plenty of stunning scenery, great food, and friendly people. Here are some things to keep in mind when planning a trip to Mongolia:
1. Weather in Mongolia can be unpredictable, so pack accordingly. Bring layers and a hat, and remember that temperatures can drop dramatically at night.
2. Driving in Mongolia is on the left side of the road – make sure you’re prepared for this change!
3. Language is a huge barrier when travelling to Mongolia, so be prepared to learn at least some basic phrases before you go.
4. If you’re looking for some adventure, consider travelling to one of the nomadic tribes in Mongolia – they’re fascinating people and well worth spending some time with.
Tips for traveling to Mongolia
Mongolia is a vast and beautiful country, perfect for a wanderlust-inspiring travel experience. Here are a few tips to help get you started:
1. Plan your trip well in advance! The country is huge, so it’s best to start planning as early as possible.
2. Bring comfortable clothes – Mongolia is a land of extremes, ranging from blistering cold winters to scorching summers. Dress accordingly!
3. Get vaccinated – Mongolia is considered to be moderately safe, but do take the necessary precautions nonetheless. Make sure to get vaccinated for hepatitis A and B, typhoid fever and yellow fever.
4. Be careful with what you take pictures of – Do not photograph any religious monuments or artifacts without permission from the owner (or local guide). These can be protected by law in some cases!
5. Enjoy the local food – Munch on some yummy Mongolian horse meat if you feel like indulging, but don’t forget to sample other delicacies such as khorkhor (a type of green cheese) and khulan (a sour milk drink).
If you are planning to travel to Mongolia, must travel in winter, it’s the best time.