Living room carpets bring warmth and coziness. However, cleaning them is pretty bulky. It may even be a problem putting them inside the machines at the laundry service. People often rely on homemade cleaners for their living room carpets.
Just a reminder about washing a carpet:
- Only apply soaps or cleaners sparingly.
- Rinse soaps and cleaner solutions thoroughly during the cleaning process.
- Dry carpet completely to trap moisture that may lead to mold or mildew.
Here is a quick guide on how to clean and wash your living room carpet without a machine.
Remove pet fur diligently.
You can make a habit of removing pet fur with a lint brush to keep your carpet tidy in between deep cleanings. Use the brush in areas where there are visible fur buildups and where your pet often lays. Alongside it, you have to brush or groom your pet more to help your carpets clean.
Use a soft-bristled broom.
Living room carpets house dust and dirt particles because of the foot traffic in the area, especially if you have a fur pet. This is a viable method if you have a low-pile carpet. However, it can be challenging if your carpet is shag or high-piled. Dirt becomes embedded in the carpet’s fiber, making the broom less effective in removing them.
Spot Cleaning Carpet
Removing and cleaning spots on your carpet is the most crucial part. You have to prepare a vinegar solution to use. Fill a spray bottle with water, one tablespoon of dish soap, and ¼ cup of vinegar.
Spray the cleaning solution on the stain generously and blot it with a clean towel until the stain is blunt. You have to keep an eye when spot cleaning your carpet. Make sure it is treating the stain and not discoloring it. Always test clean the products on a discreet part of the carpet before treating the spots.
Moreover, make sure not to rub the spots. Rubbing the spots will cause them to spread or soak deeper into the carpet’s fabric.
Washing the carpet
Here is how you should wash or clean your living room carpet. Make sure to work in small sections, so you will not be overwhelmed during the process.
- Sprinkle baking soda to remove the debris and odor.
- Make a mixture of carpet shampoo by adding 2 drops and warm water in a spray bottle.
- Brush over the carpet using a soft-bristled brush to remove any dirt that is trapped.
- Fill another spray bottle with water.
- Lift the remaining moisture with a dry towel.
- Rinse the carpet thoroughly to remove any residue.
- Open your windows to help speed the drying process.
Washing a living room carpet is challenging. It is better to grab the opportunity if you have a laundry pickup and delivery around your neighbourhood that offers wash and cleaning for carpets. After all, carpet cleaning highly requires patience and techniques. If not done correctly it may have a surprising odor.