QuickBooks has been aiding businesses in accentuating their accounting operations in a seamless manner. Users of this accounting application have, however, been exasperated due to repeated occurrences of error codes. One noteworthy error which has widespread ramifications as it halts all your accounting operations in the software comes up in the form of a message stating QuickBooks won’t open. Here in this piece of writing, we will be divulging the various facts related to this error and also unleash the various methodologies to troubleshoot QuickBooks won’t open error.
Even though the information contained in this article should be article should be sufficient to wipe out this annoying QuickBooks error, just in case you find any technical obstruction, you can reach out to our QuickBooks experts at the helpline and allow our professionals to guide you.
Why QuickBooks won’t error appears?
This QuickBooks aberration may be sparked by different factors. Some of the most typical causes behind this error are earmarked below:
- The company filename might contain unusual characters.
- There’s a chance the company file name is too long.
- Crucial company files might be corrupted due to a virus intrusion or sudden system shutdown caused by a power failure.
- Another principal reason behind this error can be an incorrect or incomplete installation of the QuickBooks application.
- The QuickBooks initialization file, namely QBWUSER.INI, may be facing issues.
- The Windows files may be encountering issues.
What is the procedure to fix QuickBooks won’t open error?
Adherence to the below-mentioned process will guide you through the process of troubleshooting this error that prevents users from getting access to their copy of QuickBooks Desktop. Start off with the first method and keep performing the steps as illustrated under each method. Every method enumerated within this section is viable in resolving the error; however, the source of this QuickBooks error in different systems is not the same.
So, likewise, the viable troubleshooting method for different systems is also different. We recommend that you start off from the first method and keep checking the adequacy of each method upon their conclusion. If one method fails to resolve the issue, make a shift to the subsequent method. So, without further wait, let us start off.
Method 1: Suppress QuickBooks
- This method requires holding down the Ctrl key as you double-click the QuickBooks Desktop icon.
- You will soon see the “No Company Open” window. Keep holding hold down the Ctrl key unless QuickBooks freezes or reports an error.
- Next step is to open your company file through QuickBooks.
Method 2: Repair QuickBooks
If QuickBooks won’t open, then you should proceed with repairing the accounting software through the Control Panel. The easy steps for the same are given as under:
- From the Windows start menu, navigate to the Control Panel.
- Within the Control panel, choose the Programs and Features tab.
- Pick QuickBooks and then select the option to Uninstall/Change.
- Pick the option to Continue, and then click the Repair option.
- Now, click on Next to initiate the repairing process.
- Depending on your system specifications, the procedure could take some time.
- Restart your computer after the QuickBooks repair finishes.
- On the dialogue box that opens after the system restart, click on Finish.
- Make sure to upgrade QuickBooks to the most recent version as well.
Method 3: Use the Quick Fix my Program
Quick Fix my Program is basically one of the many features of the QuickBooks Tool Hub. This feature can help ward off a wide range of issues confronted by users while working in QuickBooks. The steps to use the same are given as under:
- Download the QuickBooks Tool Hub. Make sure to download its latest version and save it to the computer. Subsequent step requires double-clicking on the downloaded .exe file so as to start installing it.
- Soon after, launch the QuickBooks Tool Hub.
- After running the tool, proceed to the Program Issues option.
- From there, opt for the feature named Quick Fix my Program and wait until the scan is complete.
- Once everything is ready, open the company file and then the QuickBooks Desktop.
Method 4: Make use of QuicBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
- The foremost step requires opening the Tool Hub for QuickBooks, downloaded earlier.
- Afterward, within the QuickBooks Tool Hub, head to the Installation Issues tab.
- Herein, you will find the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool.
- Click on the option related to this tool. The scan process will start immediately.
- Once the diagnostic tool wraps up the scan, restart your computer.
- At this stage, QuickBooks won’t open error should be annihilated.
Solution 5: Delete/Rename the QBWUSER.INI File
As already stated in the earlier section of the list of causes leading to this error, a damaged QuickBooks initialization file may also be a potential reason behind this error. To get this issue sorted out, you can either delete the file or rename it. For easy clarity, you can take the aid of the steps below:
- First, head to the C:\ Drive. After that, proceed to the folder named Users.
- Within the Users folder, head to the AppData folder.
- You then need to access the Intuit folder.
- Within the Intuit folder, open the QuickBooks folder.
- Herein, search for the file named QBWUSER.INI and then right-click on it.
- You can either ‘delete’ the file or choose the option to ‘rename’ it.
- If you opt for file renaming, then make sure to add ‘.old’ at the end of the filename.
Solution 6: Check the system time and date
- First, check the system time and date. If they are incorrect, then you will need to make certain adjustments to the same.
- Right-click the corner of the taskbar (on date or time).
- To change the date/time, choose the option to Adjust Date/Time.
- Now, change the time and date as per the current.
- Also, make sure to pick the correct time zone.
- Finally, hit on Apply and conclude the process by clicking on Ok.
Solution 7: Reinstall QuickBooks using QuickBooks Clean Install Tool
If none of the methods listed now fail to break the ice, then you should clean install QuickBooks, a process encompassing a complete removal of the QuickBooks application, followed by a fresh installation of the same. Although the manual process is pretty straightforward, it consumes considerable time and is fraught with inaccuracies. Therefore, users are suggested to use the QuickBooks clean Install tool to uninstall and reinstall the QuickBooks Desktop program.
You may also read : 5 reasons to recruit a community manager in 2022
In this article, we discussed he various causes and symptoms, before unraveled eight different methods to help you in troubleshooting QuickBooks won’t open error. If you face any issues while following these methods, you can contact our team of QuickBooks experts at the helpline 1 800 761 1787. We are always available to hear you out and assist you with valuable solutions to your QuickBooks problems.