Changes coming our application processes
Starting September 2022, we’re moving to online applications for certain permanent immigration programs using the Permanent residence portal. Each program will change to ONLINE CANADA VISA APPLICATION on a different date.
Find out when each program will switch to online applications.
If you can’t apply online, and require accommodations, including for a disability, you can ask for the application in another format (paper, braille or large print).
Apply online for these permanent immigration programs:
- Agri-food pilot
- Adopting a child through the immigration process
- Atlantic immigration program
- Home Child Care Provider Pilot
- Home Support Worker Pilot
- Humanitarian and compassionate considerations within ONLINE CANADA VISA
- Provincial nominee program (non-Express Entry)
- Quebec entrepreneurs and investors
- Quebec-selected skilled workers
- Rural and northern immigration pilot
- Self-employed people
- Sponsoring a spouse, partner, dependent child or other family
- Sponsoring a parent or grandparent
- Start-up visa
- Temporary resident permit holders applying for permanent residence
Sign in or create a Permanent residence portal account.
You can apply online or on paper for some permanent immigration programs:
- Protected persons and convention refugees in Canada
- Permanent residence pathways for Hong Kong residents
To try it, sign in or create a Permanent residence portal account.
Filling out forms
Online forms in the portal
You’ll fill out these digital forms online (for yourself, and any family members 18 or older)
- Generic Application Form for Canada (IMM 0008)
- Schedule A – Background/Declaration (IMM 5669)
- Additional Family Information (IMM 5406)
- Supplementary Information – Your travels (IMM 5562), if it applies to you
PDF forms requiring signatures
You must fill out the PDF forms below according to the instruction guide for the immigration program you’re applying for.
For all programs
- If using a paid representative or a designated individual these forms can either be signed by hand or electronically
- Use of a Representative [IMM 5476] (PDF, 1.48 MB) – for paid representatives
For family sponsorship applications only
The sponsor must
- download and complete these forms
- digitally sign, along with the principal applicant (PA)
- Application to Sponsor, Sponsorship Agreement and Undertaking [IMM 1344] (PDF, 478.72KB)
- Relationship Information and Sponsorship Evaluation Form [IMM 5532] (PDF, 2.21MB)
- Important: To digitally sign the form, you must first complete the form and then select “print to PDF”. This will create a new a version of the form that can be digitally signed.
- If the principal applicant is a minor child (under 18 years old) their parent or legal guardian must sign the forms, and consent and declaration on their behalf.
Submitting forms that someone else needs to sign by hand
For some programs, you may need to include forms that you print and sign by hand. If a third party (other than an authorized representative) also needs to sign the form, like an employer or parent of your dependent child, you must
- print and complete it
- sign it by hand
- get the third party to sign it by hand
- upload it with your application:
- Offer of Employment Form: Home Child Care Provider or Home Support Worker [IMM 5983] (PDF, 2.3 MB)
- Offer of Employment to a Foreign National – Rural and Northern Immigration Pilot (IMM 5984) (PDF, 846 KB)
- Offer of Employment to a Foreign National under the Atlantic Immigration Program [IMM 0157] (PDF, 317 KB)
- Offer of Employment to a Foreign National – Agri-Food Immigration Pilot [IMM 0115] (PDF, 1.74 MB)
- Declaration from Non-Accompanying Parent/Guardian for Minors Immigrating to Canada [IMM 5604] (PDF, 1.75 MB)
- Statuatory declaration of common-law union [IMM 5409] (PDF, 2.23 MB)
- Use of a Representative [IMM 5476] (PDF, 1.48 MB) – for unpaid representatives
All other PDF forms
You and any family members coming with you to Canada must fill out the remaining PDF forms according to the instruction guide for the immigration program you’re applying for.
You must download, complete, and upload all the remaining forms you need for your application.
These forms do not need to be signed.
Do not print and scan any of these forms.
Signing the application
As the principal applicant, once you’ve uploaded your forms, only your signature is needed on the overall consent and declaration to complete the online application. Your family members don’t need to sign it.If you can’t apply online and require accommodations
If you’re having technical issues with the permanent residence online application portal, contact us using the web form
- under type of application/enquiry, choose technical difficulties from the drop-down menu
- in the text box, specify the program you’re applying under
- upload screenshots from your account that show us
- the page where you’re having problems
- the error message(s) you get