Most of the time, dentists are concerned about patients’ oral hygiene during professional sessions. They typically use a range of dental tools to clean and remove plaque from teeth, implant surgery, and other dental problems.
As you know, everyone follows a flossing and brushing teeth routine, but still, regular dental checkups by professionals are important. Dentists use many dental extraction tools and other equipment in professional sessions.
For your better knowledge we have created a brief guide of tools that a dental person uses in the procedure. Have a look!
Different Types Of Tools Used By Dentist
1. Surgical kits
Most dentists use surgical kits for various dental surgical procedures.
The dental surgical kits required the equipment used for the safety of patients during an intervention. It consists of products that are necessary for disinfection, intra-oral examination, prevent cross-contamination, and much more.
Check out the different types of surgical kits.
A. Bone Grafting Kit
This kit is made especially for the bone grafts placement. Bone Grafting Kitis a box consisting of effective and convenient tools. The box includes a cassette to store and sterilize instruments.
B. Elvatome Kit
The Elvatome is known as an intersection between the elevator and the periotome. The major goal is to cut the periodontal ligament. Elvatome Kit has the durability of an elevator but the sharpness of a periotome.
C. Gold Surgical Kit
It is a dental surgical kit consisting of a gold cassette. This enables dental professionals to conveniently and effectively maintain, collect, then sterilize different tools for surgery.
D. Periotome Kit
Basically, periotomes are used to assure safe processes and extracting of the periodontal ligament. Also, in this, the Titanium alloy serrated blade is made for a well-defined cutting. On the other side, a serrated nib is smoother and harder, which provides durability.
Furthermore, the lightweight handle of the periotome kit offers better control and lessens hand fatigue.
2. Serrated surgical curette
The surgical serrated curettes is best for curettage, socket debridement, and granular tissue removal.
There are three types of serrated surgical curette:
- Large serrated surgical curette – It consists of 4mm wide and 23mm shanks serrated spoon-shaped blades.
- Medium serrated surgical curette – It consists of 3.5mm wide and 24mm shanks serrated spoon-shaped blades.
- Mini serrated surgical curette – It consists of 3mm wide and 24mm shanks serrated spoon-shaped blades.
3. Dental Extraction Tools
The extraction tools include many surgical instruments required for dentists to simplify extractions and the third molar extractions. Also, it consists of the equipment needed to improve the surgical process.
It includes tools like FringsForceps, Rongeur, Elevator, Scissors, Needle Driver, Serrated Curette, Sterilizable Cassette, and more.
Usually, a Fringis a type of forceps which consist of an internal spring. Also, these instruments are equipped with a modern patented auto-retractable technology.
Moreover, Fringsis durable and comes with a lifelong warranty, German stainless steel fabrication, and a two-tone titanium finishing. This tool is designed for high precision and performance.
It is used for upper molars, upper incisors, and lower molars. You can see a cow-horn kind of projections for lower molars and root forceps.
B. Dental Rongeurs
The end-cutting dental bone rongeurs are used for re-contouring and trimming alveolar bone. Also, it helps dentists in gross tissue removal. Almost every dentist only uses this tool during dental procedures.
C. Extraction Forceps
Every extraction forceps is specially created for the particular area of the mouth as per patients. Usually, extraction forceps are used with elevators for extracting teeth. Also, the beaks are manufactured to fit around the tooth’s cervical portion. It has pointed beaks which are made for gripping the furcation area
Three parts of extraction forceps include:
- The extraction forceps include hinges that allow the handle and beak to be grasped and opened.
- To prevent the damage while sterilizing, take care of hinges. For this, one needs to see the manufacturer’s instructions for product care.
- With the handle of extraction forceps, a palm grasp is used.
- Also, having a serrated handle allows for a better operator.
- A curve on the handle’s end would offer more leverage and stability.
- A Mandibular forceps consist of a straight handle with a 90° angle from the beak to the handle.
- Usually, the handles of maxillary forceps are curved in an upwards direction.
- The universal Forceps consist of a beak used for the mouth’s quadrant.
- Forceps manufactured for single-rooted teeth consist the smooth beaks
- The Forceps are designed for multi-rooted teeth.
- Usually, the beaks of extraction forceps are designed to fit over the tooth’s crown curve.
The Proximator is a dental extraction toolthat makes extractions efficient and faster. It is one of the successful innovations in dentistry.
This tool is used for creating the lateral alveolus expansion, severing the periodontal space’s ligaments, and severing the periodontal fibers. Also, using the Proximator decreases the potential damage while performing dental surgery.
Usually, a single-ended structure allows for pressure by the palm. It drives the tip apically and enhances the applied force to the instrument.
E. Dental Elevators
Elevators are an important part of oral surgical procedures. It is used for many processes like mucoperiosteum or gingival, removal of teeth, root removal, and mobilizing teeth.
Also, sometimes elevators are used to loosen firm teeth application of forceps to extract a tooth out from the socket. It consists of three parts: blade, handles, and shank.
There are different types of Dental Elevators, such as:
- Cross Bar – In this, the handle is positioned at a right angle to the shank. It provides more force with less exerted pressure.
- Straight – It’s a wedge-type straight apex.
- Angular – This is both types, Right as well as Left.
If you are planning any dental surgery, don’t forget to add an implant surgery kit and other important equipment. Above, we have enlisted the major tools a dental professional uses.
We hope this article has provided you with enough knowledge on the important dental tools. Now, you would be able to choose the right one for dental surgery or sessions.